Pages

Wednesday 21 August 2013

Pumpkin in Sweet Tamarind Masala



I found something out today........ Asafoetida is the most fowl smelling thing ever!!!!

I went to the Indian grocer today and picked up a few things for this recipe and some others im going to make in the next couple of days. I got the ingredients home and I could smell this stuff without even opening the container. My nose was seriously burning. It smell like rotten onions!
I got a headache and wanted to vomit. I don't know why the hell anyone would want to eat this.
I was soo grossed out I decided to make something that didn't have Asafoetida in it.
As it turned out, that was a good decision because this recipe was really tasty.





This is another recipe from Rick Steins India. If you have not read it, DO IT. Its so beautiful and everything I have made from it so far is delish.





Pumpkin in Sweet Tamarind Masala

Ingredients:

4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 teaspoon nigella seeds
50g ginger grated
400g butternut pumpkin
2 fresh green chillies
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon kashmiri chilli powder
6 dates chopped
2 Tablespoons desiccated coconut
2 teaspoons jaggery or brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons tamarind
I hate coriander so i didn't use it but use a handful of it at the end if you like


Method:

In a large pan place oil and fenugreek seeds over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add nigella seeds and ginger. Cook for about a minute.
Stir in pumpkin, chillies, chilli powder and ground coriander, cover and cook for 10 mins.
Add dates, coconut, sugar and salt to pan.
Stir well and cover.
Cook until pumpkin is tender but still holds shape.
Stir in tamarind and serve with rice.












No comments:

Post a Comment