Pages

Monday 12 January 2015

Raw lemon and Blackberry cookies!!

Oh I am so excited to be back on here. 
Chrissy and New Year have been extremely hectic and I have loved being off work for 3 weeks.
I have been on holiday up in New South Wales in Byron Bay. It was such a great holiday. 
We ate sooo much incredible food and drank many a Margarita. The weather was perfect most of the time so we went sea Kayaking and lots of bike riding. It's good to be home now because that means I can cook again with my brand new..... dehydrator!!!!!! Like a big, bad ass dehydrator I got from my parents for xmas. It's way legit.
So far I have made a million Kale chips, (They are a trap. I use a whole bunch of kale and can eat the whole lot in one sitting once dehydrated) Dried nectarine and dried pear. I haven't had a whole bunch of time to get to use it so today I am trying out these cookies. 



They get the beautiful colour from Blackberries I added. These little gems are in season in Australia right now so paired with lemon they are perfect, and they look cute. 




Raw lemon and blackberry cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup soaked raw nuts. I used almonds and cashews (Soak for at least 2 hours but over night is good)
1 cup coconut flakes (try getting moist coconut)
2 tablespoons sweetener such as maple syrup, agave, raw sugar (I used stevia powder)
1 Tablespoon melted coconut oil 
lemon rind of two lemons and juice of 1 
1/4 cup coconut flour 
3/4 cup blueberries or other berry 
pinch of good salt


Method:
Place soaked nuts, coconut flakes, sweetener, oil, lemon juice and rind and berries in a food processor and process till wet, lumpy texture. Add in 1/4 cup of coconut flour and blend together. The mixture should come together and form balls in the mixer. If the mixture is too wet add more flour. Only add a small amount at a time as coconut flour soaks up heaps of moisture. If you add too much the cookies will crumble. Roll into cookie shapes and dehydrate at about 45-50 degrees celsius for about 2 hours





Anyone got some good dehydrator recipes to share with me?? I also need some of those flexible sheets you can put food on in the dehydrator. Anyone know where i can get those?












When I was in Byron Bay I tried some of these fruit leathers that were made of pureed fruit. Just pureed fruit and then dehydrated. They were really delish. I think that will be my next mission with my trusty dehydrator! Im really getting my collection of bad ass kitchen gear together now, with my Vitamix and my awesome food processor and now my dehydrator. Im basically a professional! lol


XX 




7 comments:

  1. My Aunt & Uncle use to live in Byron Bay I have the most magic memories of that place :) Are 'moist coconut flakes' like shredded fresh coconut? Love the color contrast of the yellow and purple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its such a beautiful spot to visit. I especially love it up the hills in Mullumbimbi, definitely move there one day! Just use the coconut in the packed. It is dried coconut flakes but you can get some horrible stuff that is like straw. Hope that helps. x

      Delete
  2. Those are so cute! I love making raw cookies in my dehydrator. I'm on a mostly raw cleanse right now, so I've been using my Excalibur a LOT!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been following your little raw clense ;)
      I am really excited to experiment with new recipes in my dehydrator, it just opens up a whole new way of cooking.
      Looking forward to trying fruit leathers next. Have you tried those?
      x

      Delete
  3. Wow, their colour is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. The blackberries are so vibrant! x

      Delete