Pages

Sunday 9 November 2014

Vegan salami, tomato, and basil pasta bake.

Today we went to the Word vegan day festival in Melbourne.
Thank goodness it was a little less busy that last year. They moved half of the exhibitors into a separate section this year and it really made a big difference.
I basically just ate my face off for a few hours. lol
My boyfriend got a huge burger with loads of cheese and sauce. It looked like it could do with some lettuce but he said it was nice. I had some little 'fish' balls with an amazing creamy potato salad and a slice of buttered bread. It was really nice.
We then headed to Half pint dairy and bought a mini tub of their honeycomb ice cream. It was definitely the best vegan ice cream I have ever had. It was incredibly creamy and so sweet. We also bought a tub of their vegan butter which was great too. I can't wait to have some slathered on a piece of toast with Vegemite! :)
After eating every sample on offer and having a browse through the rest of the stalls I came home to cook this pasta bake for dinner. See always thinking about food. 



Vegan salami, basil and tomato pasta bake

Ingredients:

1 pack Cheatin vegan pepperoni * 
3 Large tomatoes
1 punnet cherry tomatoes 
1 handful basil leaves 
olive oil for frying onions and garlic 
3 cloves garlic 
1 large red chilli 
1/2 red onion 
2 teaspoons dried italian herbs 
3/4 cup water 
1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar 
1/4 cup nutritional yeast 
1 cup bread crumbs
1/4 stick parmesan style cheezly* 
1/4 stick mozzarella style cheezly*
3/4 bag penne pasta
Lots pepper 
salt 

Pesto:
2 big handfuls basil leaves 
squeeze lemon 
3 Tablespoons olive oil 
1/4 cup water 
1 clove garlic 
Nuts or seeds- Seriously chuck in a handfuls of any nuts or seeds you have lying around. I used a Tamari seed mix that had pepitas and sunflowers. 

Method:

Placed chopped onion and garlic in a pan with a glug of oil and fry on a low heat. When onions turn transparent add in chopped salami and chopped chilli and fry lightly. Add dried herbs and torn basil. While frying, chop tomatoes and halve cherry tomatoes. Add to pan with water, vinegar and yeast.
Place pasta in a pot of boiling water and cook for about 4 minutes until only slightly cooked. Drain and add to pot with tomato and salami mixture. 
Either transfer to baking dish or in the same dish if it is oven proof, grate cheese on and sprinkle bread crumbs. 
Bake, covered in a hot oven for about 15 minutes. Removed lid and bake for another 5 minutes. 

While baking prepare pesto. Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and season well. 

Serve pasta bake in bowls and spoon on a big blob of pesto. 
Eat! 


I made this pesto quite runny so it would mx into the pasta well. Normally I wouldn't add water.





Pre- baking cheesy goodness shot!


Post baking cheesy goodness shot!!







My mouth is super garlicy after eating this and it is ok with me!! Think I might go back for seconds!

*If you want to buy the salami I used or any of the cheeses I use, you can grab them online from 
Vegan perfection. They also have a bunch of awesome sweets and other dairy alternatives.  http://www.veganperfection.com.au/


Have a jolly good week everyone! xxx







5 comments:

  1. I had all the samples too, I bought the pepperoni as soon as I had some. I loved those seaweed crackling thingies, the Japanese sauces and the raw macaroons. So much great stuff, I'm regretting not buying more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, we use that same pepperoni in our stromboli at work. Its really good. I didn't try the seaweed thingos.
    Great day though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I'm visiting Melbourne in few days. Where do I get good vegan chocolates, rice milk, vegan icecream...

    Melbourne sounds great for VEGANS!

    I blog at global vegan fare.

    Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh thats exciting! Melbourne is the best for anything vegan. If you are after chocolates and that kind of stuff head to Either the cruelty free store in Fitzroy or Terra madre in Westgarth. They both stock everything a vegan could dream of.
      x

      Delete