Pages

Tuesday 1 April 2014

Vanilla Passionfruit Cake

I have become obsessed with passionfruit in a can.
Is that really bad?

I can't get enough of it. So sweet and sour and really cheap. Don't get me wrong I love the real deal too but you can't always get them.

I bought a few cans of  it the other day and I have been trying out some recipes. This is a super dooper moist cake as it is made with olive oil and I iced it with a cream cheeze frosting and covered it in passionfruit. If you don't like passionfruit you could easily add any other fruit!


Vanilla Passionfruit cake

Ingredients:

1 cup plain white flour
1/2 cup olive oil
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspsoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup non dairy milk- I used soy
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon corn flour
pinch of salt

Frosting:
1/4 cup toffuti better than cream cheese
1/4 cup nuttelex of other vegan margarine
1/4 cup soy milk powder (if you can get hold of it)
1-2 cups icing confectioners sugar depending how thick you want. I wanted mine runny!
1 small can passionfruit

Method:

Pre-heat oven to 180 celsius
Whisk together vinegar and milk in a bowl. Add vanilla and oil.
Combine all dry ingredients and give them a good stir making sure there are no lumps.
Mix together wet and dry ingredients and pour into greased round cake tin.
Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes.

Frosting:
Beat all ingredients together in a mix master until super smooth and creamy.
Ice cooled cake and slather with passionfruit and syrup.


Everything seems so special when it is covered in passionfruit! I love the way the gold looks against the pale frosting here too. 











 Im on a diet so if anyone wants to come over and save me from myself that would be awesome!!
xxxxx




5 comments:

  1. Where do you get passion fruit in a can? I grew up in Brazil eating passion fruit all the time, it's been over 10 years since I've seen it!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just bought it from the supermarket. It was in the canned fruit section near lychees. x

      Delete
  2. HOMG yum yum! I simply have to make this...in fact I've just added canned passion fruit onto my shopping list. I completely get that whole thing of dishing out yummy cakes and goodies just so one doesn't overindulge, because sometimes there's just no "stop" button to be had. We don't get tofutti or what not here, but I'll make a plan with the icing. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh great! Let me know how it turns out! I had a friend come over today and we had peppermint tea and a "few" pieces of cake! You could just omit the toffuti and use vegan margarine, icing sugar and a bit of solid coconut oil.
      :) x

      Delete