Pages

Saturday 31 August 2013

Perth & Banana coconut cream pie & Vegan mofo!

I have signed up for Vegan mofo 2013!!!! AKA: Vegan month of food.
That means I am going to try and do a blog post every day of september!!!!!! :) (at least every week day of September)
Its going to be really hard.

At the moment Im staying at my parents house in Perth. Ill be here for a couple more days so I will need to post on "Location" hahah. 




I made this pie at home a couple of days ago in a kind of scalloped dish and it wouldn't come out of the tin so Jim and I just scooped it out of the tin and scoffed it!  It was really delicious and creamy. 
I changed a few things in this recipe but I shouldn't have. The first time I used corn flour to set that cream layer but today I used carrageenan and it went really rubbery and wierd. It was much better with a small amount of corn flour.

The initial reason for making this pie was this sweet coconut spread I could not avoid in the supermarket. I saw it a bunch of times and when I finally bought it I made this recipe just to use it.
You can buy it from safeway or Woolworths for about $7 a jar in the Asian section next to the coconut cream.




Banana coconut cream pie (this is the version with corn flour)
This makes 2 mini pies

1/2 cup mixed raw nuts
3 teaspoons organic coconut spread
a big pinch of good quality sea salt
1/4 cup desiccated coconut

1/2 cup Soyatoo soy cream or 1/2 tub toffuti better than cream cheese
1/4 cup coconut milk+ 2 Tablespoons
2 teaspoons corn flour
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2-3 Tablespoons icing sugar

Extra coconut spread
1 ripe banana


Method:
Crush nuts until sand like texture in food processor. Add coconut, coconut spread and salt and spin till mixture becomes wet and malleable.
Spread onto the base of two small spring form tins. Refrigerate.
In a pan, mix soyatoo, coconut milk, vanilla and icing sugar  until combined. In a small bowl mix extra coconut milk and corn flour until smooth and free of lumps.
Place pan on a low heat and add the corn flour mixture. Whisk over low heat until it just boils.
Remove lined tins from fridge and spread with a small layer of coconut spread before pouring over cooled cream mix.
Refrigerate for a couple of hours.
Remove from trays and decorate with fresh banana slices.





xxxxxxxxx




6 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm so tempted to make a strawberry version now....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Amy that's a great idea. It would look beautiful with strawberries too. x

      Delete
  2. The pie looks great! Oh, and did you say you have a Woolworth's in Melbourne?? I used to love that store! I bought yarn and crochet hooks there when I was a kid and taught myself to knit and crochet and I still remember the lunch counter :-) We don't have Woolworth anymore in the U.S., but I'm glad some of the international ones are still around!

    Anyhoo, glad to meet you! I started browsing blogs starting with letter "V" this year, I feel like we get stuck at the end of the alphabet :-)

    See you around the 'Fo!
    Dawn
    http://veganfazool.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey dawn,
      So nice to hear from you. Ill have a browse of your blog today. Its my first mofo so I'm just too excited by all the new material to read.
      Have a fantastic day. x

      Delete
  3. Happy Vegan Mofo! The pie looks delicious. It's my first vegan mofo and its great to see so many people taking part. My theme is everything bean like due to the masses of beans I've grown in my garden and I'm following the 'official' theme as its my first one, which is proving more difficult than I first thought :) http://selfsufficientcafe.blogspot.co.uk/
    Jasmine x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jasmine! Had a quick look at your page this morning! How exciting! i love beans.
      I so wish I had space to have a veggie garden. I ate some cherry tomatoes from my sisters garden this morning and they were soo soo sweet!
      good luck
      x

      Delete