Pages

Saturday 10 August 2013

Coconut Stew

My boyfriends Dad made this for us last week.
Its a Rick Stein recipe and it comes from his Indian cook book. Its such a beautiful book.
This is such an unusual dish. Unlike anything I have had before. It is sweet and salty and really quick to whip up.


Indian Coconut Stew

Ingredients:
750g mixed vegetables; I used green beans, sweet potato, and carrot. It is good with cucumber too.
200g  Fresh, frozen coconut (you can use coconut paste) chopped roughly
1 Onion
1 Tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil
3 Green chillies with seeds ( I used red)
1/2 teaspoon Tumeric
1/2 teaspoon Kashmiri chilli powder
2 Tablespoons of Tamarind liquid
Salt to taste

To finish:
Small handful Curry leaves
1 Tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil



Method:
Cut veggies (except cucumber) into batons and steam or boil in salted water till tender.
Blend coconut and onion in a blender to a course paste. Stir into hot vegetables in a large pan over med heat.
Add coconut oil, chopped chilli, tumeric, tamarind and salt. Cover with a lid for 5-10 mins to steam.
Add chopped and de-seeded cucumber right at the end.
To finish, stir in the curry leaves and drizzle over melted coconut oil.




Indian food is definitely my favourite cuisine. It is just exploding with flavour. I looove spicy food too so it's perfect. I don't really cook it much at home, Well I do but I don't make the pastes.
I can never make them taste as good as at a restaurant and its so cheap to go and eat Indian out, I would prefer to do that.
I will have to do a review of my favourite Indian place next time I go.





xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment