Pages

Tuesday 4 February 2014

Curried Coconut lentils

Its 25 degrees today!! YAY.

I am happy for two reasons. One I can cook in the kitchen and not die of heat exhaustion
and two, I don't have to listen to my sooky boyfriend talk about how hot it is!

I have been busy in the kitchen today.
I am soaking soy beans over night for home made tofu! I am also salting some onions
so I can pickle them tomorrow. Ill post about all of that soon.

Dinner tonight is curried coconut lentils. My boyfriend cooked these for me when I hurt my back and I was bed ridden for a few weeks (I gave him the recipe and guided him through it) but he did do a great job!


I usually whip up some garlic flat bread to dip into this but pictured is just some cheap bought stuff.






Curried coconut lentils

Ingredients:

2 cans brown lentils
1 can coconut cream
2 teaspoons corriander seed
2 teaspoons cumin seed
1 teaspoon mustard seed
2 tablespoon garam masala
2 dried red chilis
1 teaspoon tumeric
1 teaspoon pepper corns
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1 Tablespoon fenugreek seed
1 teaspoon kashmiri chili powder
1 large potato
2 carrots
3 curry leaves
1 cup frozen peas
3 cloves garlic
1 small onion
1 Tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon vegetable stock

Method:

Place all spices except curry leaves in mortar and pessal or spice grinder and blend till fine powder.
Chop and peel potato and carrot into small chunks and steam until tender but with bite.
Slice onions thinly and chop garlic. Place in pan with oil and cook until soft.
Once the onions are soft, add the spice mixture and cook until very fragrant.
Add the stock to the water and add to onion and spice mixture.
Add the coconut cream, sugar, soy sauce, curry leaves and steamed vegetables and simmer on a low heat for about 15 mins.
Take off the heat and add the frozen peas. Let sit for 5 minutes and serve.
Best served with garlicy flat bread.





Yum Yum Yum. I just ate a bowl of this and it was totaly yum. I would like to keep eating but I have to go and play netball in about half an hour and I don't want to vomit on court!








xxx







2 comments:

  1. I've just discovered your blog via Vegan Crunk! I just wanted to say your food looks amazing but your photos are what I really love - I can only dream of getting such lovely shots of food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thanks soo much! I have never had any photography training and I don't even have a very fancy camera. I just love to photograph food so I guess its just practice.
      Your comment has brightened my day
      Thanks a million! x

      Delete